Even though we can't travel to South Korea for a delicious bowl of Samgyetang, or Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup, we can still make it at home and pretend we're in Seoul enjoying winter and the snow.
1 whole Kampong chicken (about 900grm)
1.5 litres water
2-3 ginseng roots
10 red dates, remove seeds
1/2 cup glutinous rice (amount depends on the size of chicken)
3 slices old ginger
5 cloves garlic, remove skin
1 tablespoon goji berries
Good Salt to taste
1. Wash & Soak glutinous rice overnight, cover & store in a fridge.
2. Clean chicken cavity & Drain glutinous rice until no water left.
3. Stuffed chicken cavity with glutinous rice. Make a small cut on the side skin at the end of cavity, Cross & tug both chicken leg.
4. Place chicken into cooking pot, fill with water. Add in ginseng roots and ginger.
5. Cover & bring to boil. Simmer with low heat for 1 hour, add in garlic & red dates. Continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
6. Lastly, add goji berries & Good Salt to taste. Garnish with chopped spring onion.